Thursday 14 May 2009

Mayor Making Ceremony - 13th May 2009

Last night was the annual Mayor Making ceremony for Thetford Town Council. Every time I mentioned the title to someone that I was going to this, I needed to explain what exactly was 'Mayor Making' - what a pity that so few people in our town are aware of the customs and traditions of the town council. I get the feeling that some people view me as some kind of 'revolutionary' with no respect for such things as customs and traditions, maybe its because of my age, but actually this could not be further from the truth. I am very proud of Thetford, and I do respect the role of the council and its customs (although of course, none of them are properly explained or discussed with new councillors). I may sometimes get frustrated when customs and traditions stand in the way of progress, but on the whole, I would consider myself respectful of such things. It was my first Mayor Making ceremony as a councillor and I must confess to being exceptionally nervous! Our new Mayor, is Pam Spencer who I am sure was also very nervous, but did a great job last night and I wish her well for her year ahead.

No comments: