Thursday 24 July 2008

Letter to Thetford and Brandon 23rd July 2008

Dear Editor May I take the opportunity to thank all of the people that voted for myself and the other candidates in the Saxon Ward by-election held last week (17th July). I am delighted and humbled that so many people voted to put their trust in me and elect me as their new town councillor, particularly considering I was by far the youngest councillor and also a candidate for the Labour Party – at a time when such a thing may be considered a hindrance. I was particularly pleased that our campaign managed to engage new people with local democracy, a number of people who voted on Thursday had never voted before or seldom vote and I am pleased that we did our bit to engage these people in the democratic process. May I also thank the other candidates themselves who conducted a hard fought, yet positive campaign on local issues. My particular thanks to the runner up candidate, Mike Brindle, who was an excellent opponent. I believe that this result was the endorsement of hard work and determination. The people of Thetford deserve hard working councillors who fight with passion and determination to promote Thetford for the wonderful place that it is and seek further improvements, based on sound local knowledge and consultation with the people of this town. I hope I can live up to people's expectations and play may part in improving Thetford for the future. The real work starts now! Best wishes, Terry Jermy New Saxon Ward Town Councillor Newtown Thetford

No comments: